|Stracciatella alla romana by Sifu Renka, on Flickr|
Of course, eggs and soup being stage 2 foods, my mind immediately went to egg drop soup. But this is NOT your takeout type egg drop soup! It's thick and full of meat.
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked chicken (I used stuff left from broth-making, a mixture of meat, skin, cartilage and organ meats)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 TB grated ginger root
- 1 bunch sliced scallions
- a chicken liver cube
- 6 eggs
- Put broth, chicken, carrots and ginger in Dutch oven and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft.
- Add scallions and chicken liver cube and continue cooking until cube dissolves.
- Remove pot from heat.
- In small bowl, beat eggs until whites are broken up, but eggs are not foamy.
- This bit is tricky, it takes 3 hands. Place a whisk in the soup pot and hold in one hand. Hold a colander over the pot. Have husband pour eggs through colander while you whisk in large circles constantly.
- For each serving, add 1 TB whey/yogurt and 1 TB sauerkraut or pickle juice.