slow food: slow roast chicken dinner
by ebbandflo_pomomama, on Flickr
I've decided that since I have been successful at "hiding" organ meats in the broth I use to make my turkey stuffing for years, that I'd try to "hide" some liver in this soup.
Thus I begin by making chicken liver cubes before starting the soup.
chicken liver cubes
- 1 lb pastured chicken livers
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 pint chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 12 cloves garlic, pressed
- Rinse livers. Add lemon juice and marinade in refrigerator overnight. This will temper the flavor.
- Drain livers. Bring chicken broth to a boil in small saucepan. Add livers and onion; reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes, until livers are tender.
- Remove from heat and add garlic. Buzz with a stick blender until smooth, then portion into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- When frozen, remove to a labeled ziplock bag for storage.
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth, divided
- 6 lb pastured chicken (including neck and giblets)
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups cubed squash
- 1 cup fresh parsley (or 1/4 cup dried)
- Bring a pint of the broth to boil and then add to crockpot. Add chicken; cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- Let cool, then sort through and remove bones, placing broth, giblets, meat and skin in Vitamix. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, bring a quart of chicken broth to boil. Add carrots, onions, squash and parsley. Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender.
- Buzz vegetables with stick blender until smooth.
- Stir in meat/broth mixture, rest of the chicken broth and 1 chicken liver cube. Bring to boil and remove from heat.
For each serving, stir in 1 TB whey and 1 tsp sauerkraut juice.
This recipe was shared with Sugar Free Sunday, Craftastic Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Inspire Me Monday, More the Merrier Monday, Anti-procrastination Tuesday, Frugal Tuesday Tip, The Gathering Spot, Tuesdays at the Table, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways , Frugal Food, Home & Garden, Thankful Thursday, Fill Those Jars, Finer Things, I Love Fridays, LHITS DIY Linky, Whole Food Fridays, Say G'Day, Saturday Nite Special