|uruapan carnitas by goodiesfirst, on Flickr|
During stage 4, I had carnitas, sliced avocado and sauerkraut for dinner.
This recipe does most of the cooking in the crockpot, but you do have to broil a bit at the end to get that characteristic crunchiness.
- 5 lb pork shoulder
- unrefined sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 TB coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- cup of chicken stock
- Cut the outermost fat layer mostly off the pork, leaving it attached on one side to form a pocket. Sprinkle entire shoulder with salt & pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in Dutch oven. Sear pork on all sides, then remove to crockpot.
- In small bowl, mix black pepper, oregano, cumin and cayenne to form dry dub.
- Place rub in pocket between fat and meat, rubbing all over meat.
- Add onions, garlic and broth to crockpot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat from crockpot and tear into chunks. Place in a 9x13 pan. Place under preheated broiler to crisp up the skin.
- Remove liquids in crockpot to large pot. Reduce until thickened. Add carnitas back to sauce.