Sunday, August 19, 2012

three things I'll miss

Coffee with Cream and Sugar by TheCulinaryGeek, on Flickr
Coffee with Cream and Sugar by TheCulinaryGeek, on Flickr

brewed coffee with cream and stevia powder

Coffee is legal on the full GAPS diet, as long as it's brewed and not instant. Who would drink instant coffee voluntarily anyways? My grandmother, that's who. And she's dead. Which means she doesn't drink much instant anymore...

Coffee is not legal on any of the introductory stages, so there shall be caffeine withdrawal occurring. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. It's worse than PMS.

But even on full GAPS, neither my beloved cream nor my stevia powder are legal. The only allowed dairy is fermented, and I somehow don't see putting sour cream or yogurt in my coffee. I guess I will have to switch to coconut milk or cream as I can't drink it black.

And stevia is only legal if it's the green leaf herb form, not the refined powder, which is what I use. Luckily, I have some growing in my garden this year and have been drying it up as I go along.

Endangered Species Chocolate by lightsight, on Flickr
Endangered Species Chocolate by lightsight, on Flickr

chocolate

Chocolate and cocoa are flat-out on the verboten list even on full GAPS, but with a note about checking the FAQs.

The GAPS FAQs state:

When can cocoa be introduced?
Cocoa is SCD illegal. However, I find that many people can start having it occasionally on the Full GAPS Diet, once the digestive symptoms are gone. Find pure organic cocoa powder. Mixing the powder with some honey and sour cream makes a delicious dessert, and you can add it to your homemade ice cream or cakes. After trying it for the first time, observe your patient for any reactions. Cocoa is very rich in magnesium and some essential amino acids and, unless your digestive system is not ready for it, there is no need to avoid it.

So she's allowing cocoa, for homemade chocolate on full GAPS, but not ready-made chocolate, like pictured.

The one with the turtle is FREAKING AWESOME! It's a dark chocolate with dried blueberries in it. There's like 10 bars of this in my freezer right now (I stock up when it's on sale). It contains soy lecithin and ordinary sugar, so isn't even TF-legal, let alone GAPS-legal. But it's so good!

Given that I have a huge pile of blueberries in my freezer, I shall have to attempt to recreate this when I get to full GAPS.

Diet Pepsi & Mag Trainer by qnr, on Flickr
Diet Pepsi & Mag Trainer by qnr, on Flickr

my primary vice

Well, the main unhealthy vice, some vices are pretty darned nice. ;)

I have been addicted to Diet Pepsi forever. I have often said I wished my kitchen faucet had a third choice... it should be hot water, cold water and Diet Pepsi.

I don't like regular Pepsi. I've never cared for sugar in soda, coffee or juice, makes my teeth feel icky. It's Diet Pepsi I love, and I've loved it since way before I had either a weight problem or diabetes. Heck, I loved it back when it was made with saccharine and way ickier than it is today.

I've been buying much less, in preparation for GAPS, trying to drink more water, homemade lemonade and limeade, and less soda.

But honestly, I am really going to miss my Diet Pepsi when I begin GAPS.

postscript

These are not things I will SERIOUSLY miss, as I only discovered them at Wegman's recently. They're not even TF-legal, as the nuts aren't soaked or fermented before being turned into butter. But they are amazingly awesome.

If you're not on a restrictive diet, I highly recommend these two flavors particularly (there's a slew of others).

The maple almond butter is my favorite. The combination of roasted almonds, maple sugar and sea salt is just phenomenal.

The chocolate hazelnut butter is pretty darned decadent also. This stuff is better than Nutella, which is overly sweet for my palate.

If you're on Matt Stone's all-you-can-eat diet, definitely try these out as they're awesome.

Disclosure: Affiliate