Wednesday, July 18, 2012

curried chicken salad

curried chicken and mango salad by deirdren, on Flickr
curried chicken and mango salad by deirdren, on Flickr

I'm afraid I collected this recipe before I decided to blog, so I didn't save the URL and can't credit it properly.

I really thought this was yummy. My HHA liked it so much that after we made it here, she went home and made it herself the next week.

I'm going to have to classify this as a TF recipe, as though the ingredients are GAPS legal, Dr. Campbell-McBride says fruits should not be eaten at the same time as meat and vegetables, making the recipe illegal on GAPS.

curried chicken salad

ingredients
  • 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (see below)
  • 1/3 cup homemade yogurt (see a future post!)
  • 1 TB lime juice
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 5 tsp homemade curry powder (see below)
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups leftover chicken, cubed
  • a medium red onion, diced
  • a medium ripe mango, peeled, pitted & diced
  • 1 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
method

In a large bowl, mix together the mayo, yogurt, lime juice, honey and spices. Stir in the cooked chicken, onion, mango, grapes and cashews.

It is particularly nice served on a bed of mixed greens.


homemade mayo

Every blog has a recipe for mayo, but I think my method is the easiest. This recipe uses raw eggs, so be sure to use good eggs from a clean farm, where the chickens are on pasture or free-ranging much of the time. If using mass-produced eggs, follow these instructions to pasteurize them.

ingredients
  • large whole egg
  • egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup expeller-pressed coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 TB lemon juice
  • 1 TB apple cider vinegar
method

Crack the egg into a pint-sized mason jar; add the egg yolk. Leave out to come to room temperature.

If necessary (it is in winter, but not in summer), melt coconut oil. I put it in a glass Pyrex measuring cup to melt. Once it's melted, add the olive oil.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the mason jar.

Put an immersion blender in the jar and buzz it for about 10 seconds before starting to add the oil. Add the oil almost drop-wise until about a quarter of it has been added and has emulsified, then you can add in a relatively thin stream.

Put lid on jar and refrigerate.


homemade curry powder

ingredients
  • 4 TB ground coriander
  • 2 TB turmeric
  • 2 TB powdered yellow mustard
  • 2 TB chili powder
  • 1 TB ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 TB ground cumin
  • 1/2 TB ground cardamom
method

Mix together in a bowl, transfer to a pint-sized mason jar and label.


This post is participating in these carnivals, blog hops and parties: Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Make Your Own Monday, Weekend Gourmet, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Mama Moments Mondays, Meet Me Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Making Your Home Sing, Monday's Musings, {Gluten Free} Weekly Meal Plan, Creative Corner Hop, Craftastic Monday, What's in the Gunny Sack?, Homesteader Blog Carnival, On the Menu Monday, Make it Pretty Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Titus 2sday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Scratch Cooking Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Show Me What You Got at ODH, Talent Tuesday, Thankful Homemaker, Encourage One Another link up, Chatter {and a Natural Living link-up}, Country Garden Showcase, Frugal I did it Tuesday, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Look What I Made! , What I Whipped Up Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Women Living Well Wednesday, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Homemaking link up, Gluten Free Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Mommy Club link up, Wise Woman linkup, Penny Worthy Project

6 comments:

  1. As a HHA, I have fun making new foods and trying new things. It is interesting to learn what foods are GAP approved and which ones are not. Moreover, my daughter is hypoglycemic and the more information I can learn about what we are eating, the healthier we both will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make curried chicken salad but I've never tried it with mango. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never put mango in chicken salad, but it sounds yummy! I tried homemade mayo recently but it was a fail. I used a mixer, but I like your recipe for using a hand blender. I'll give that a try next time. Thanks for linking up at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! I love grapes in my chicken salad..and cashews are my favorite nuts! YUM! Thank you for sharing this with us at Healthy 2Day Wednesdays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to put this on the to-try list and love that you included a curry powder recipe too. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy, and I love that you also included a homemade recipe for mayo and curry powder, so we kind of get three posts in one! Thanks so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Short version of comment policy: be nice
For the long version, see comment policy in the footer of each blog page.